Merit Badge Opportunities Fall 2016 / Spring 2017
As of Fall 2016, you will find the merit badge opportunities available to scouts outside of the troop. As a reminder to Scouts and parents, merit badges are completed by the Scouts, based on their interest and initiative (the Troop shares opportunities, but doesn’t host these classes). Several are required for Eagle and are offered at various times throughout the year. Sign up as your schedules permit (make time when the opportunity arises!) These group sessions are a great way to learn skills and build interest in new and exciting topics while earning merit badges.
See Mr. Tucker for a “blue card” during a Scout meeting, then sign up on your own for these classes. If he is not at a meeting, another adult leader can provide a blue card.
Finished Partial Merit Badges: There are still several scouts who did not turn in their completed blue cards after Eagle College (Spring 2016) and partial merit badges after Camp Tesomas (Summer, 2016) Don't stop at the 90% mark! See Mr. Tucker if you need a counselor name to complete the badge. If you completed a merit badge at Camp Tesomas, those have been recorded with the troop records.
- The Nature Center, Crystal Lake:
- First Aid*: Oct. 21 or Nov. 21, 10AM-4PM.
- Emergency Preparedness**: Oct. 21 or Nov. 21, 4-6PM
- Geology: Dec 10, 12-3PM
- Sign up through Crystal Lake Park District
- Klehm Arboretum and Botanic Garden
- Weather: Jan. 21, 2017
- Environmental Science**: Feb. 25, 2017
- Landscape Architecture: April 1, 2017
- Plant Science: April 22, 2017
- Fly Fishing: May 6, 2017
- Programs vary from $10 to $15. See http://www.klehm.org For info, Carrie Schommer, firstname.lastname@example.org Ph. 815-965-8146
- Boone County Conservation District, Belvidere, IL
- Others – check the website and for various dates. See website for details http://www.bccdil.org/scout-troup-leaders/. Cost: $10/Scout (out of county)
- Contact:Ph. email@example.com Ph: 815-547-7935
- Burpee Museum, Rockford, IL
- Indian Lore: Sat, Nov. 19, 10:00AM-2:15PM See web site for details: http://www.burpee.org/scouts/ Prices vary from $10 to $15
- Astronomy Overnight: Fri., Dec. 16-Sat., Dec. 17, 7:PM-9:30AM
- Geology: Sat., Jan. 14, 2017 10:00AM-2:15PM
- Mammal Study: Sat., April 8, 2017 10:00AM-12:00PM
- Bird Study: Sat., May 27, 2017 10:00Am-1:45PM
- Insect Study: Sat., Aug. 5, 2017 10:00AM-2:00PM
- Contact:Lisa.Johnson@burpee.org Ph. 815-965-3433
- Microsoft Store (Oakbrook or Woodfield Mall)
- Digital Technology
- Weekends and week nights. See web site for times, dates, and locations
- Offered through Pathway to Adventure Council. See web site for details: http://pathwaytoadventure.org/?load_cms=98. Most classes are $10 each
- Contact: Shayna Hofmeister Senior Development Director Shayna.Hofmeister@scouting.org
- Challenger Museum, Woodstock, IL
- Space Exploration (Held earlier this year. Watch for future opportunities)
- Website: http://www.challengerillinois.org/programs/boy-scout-programs/
- The Kayakers.com
- Classes can be arranged for 2-8 Scouts. See http://thekayakers.com/boy-scout-kayaking-merit-badge/#.VyiQqstOXIV
Here are some links for more information on merit badges:
- Challenger Learning Center, Woodstock: Learn about other programs at http://www.challengerillinois.org/programs/boy-scout-programs/.
- The Nature Center, Crystal Lake, IL: Various merit badges are offered this throughout the year. Look for flyers via email and at the Nature Center. http://crystallakeparks.org/Parks-Facilities/Nature-Center/documents/14BOYSCOUTS2SIDEDRACKCARD5-5-14.pdf
- Klehm Arboretum and Botanic Garden: Merit badges are offered throughout the season. Programs vary from $10 to $15. http://www.klehm.org/scouts/
- Burpee Museum of Natural History, Rockford, IL: Various merit badges offered throughout the year. Some are “partial” badge courses that require additional activities on your own. Courses are $10-12 (more for the Astronomy overnight). See attached flyer, and learn more at http://www.burpee.org/scouts/
- Microsoft Store (Oakbrook & Woodfield Mall): In conjunction with the Pathway to Adventure Council, several merit badges are offered throughout the year. See the listing at http://pathwaytoadventure.org/?load_cms=98 Interactive Digital Merit Badge Pamphlets: The Boy Scouts of America has released 20 interactive digital merit badge pamphlets. The cost is the same as the print versions ($4.99), but there is a lot more included, including videos, search capabilities, simulations, and interactive Q&A. Check them out at http://www.scoutstuff.org/retail/faqs/interactive-digital-merit-badge-pamphlets
Go get those Merit Badges!!
For more information or any questions, please contact our Merit Badge Coordinator: Doug Tucker